We apologize for the interruption. However, seabreezecomputers.com has been offering free tools and downloads for many years. Unfortunately, server expenses are now starting to exceed revenue earned. If you appreciate the free tools and downloads at seabreezcomputers.com please consider making a donation.
When you first start Microsoft Edge Chromium if there is a blank white screen or blank black screen then it could be because Edge is trying to use "Hardware acceleration" and it does not work on some computers. This can happen if you have installed Edge for the first time or there has been an update. Follow these steps and see if it fixes the problem. It is a popular solution and works on most Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 computers. What we will try to do is disable "Hardware acceleration" in the browser settings. But we can't do it directly in Edge because even the settings screen is blank. Therefore, we have a workaround to try:
1. Click on Start and type in edge
2. Right click on Microsoft Edge and then click on Open file location
3. In the folder that opens right click on msedge.exe or msedge and then click on Properties
4. Click on the Compatibility tab
5. Check the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for"
6. Select Windows Vista and then click OK
7. Now start Edge again by double clicking the icon for Edge and see if it displays properly
8. In Edge click on the menu button with the 3 dots in the upper right corner
9. Click on Settings
10. On the Settings menu click on System
11. Click on Use hardware acceleration when available so that it is turned off
12. Now close Edge and we will set Edge to not run in compatibility mode anymore by repeating the first 4 steps but unchecking the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for"
13. Click on Start and type in edge
14. Right click on Microsoft Edge and then click on Open file location
15. In the folder that opens right click on msedge.exe or msedge and then click on Properties
16. Click on the Compatibility tab
17. Uncheck the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for"
18. Now start Edge again and see if it runs normally
Hopefully these steps fixed the problem. If so, then you should now be able to run Edge normally from the icon if the problem was caused by using hardware acceleration in the settings.
Previous Version of Microsoft Edge (or Internet Explorer)
Here is a side note: If you are getting a blank screen in the previous Microsoft Edge (the version that is not Chromium based) or even some versions of Internet Explorer then it could also be caused because of the program trying to use hardware acceleration in the Settings. If that is the case then you can turn off Hardware Acceleration in the Settings by following these steps:
1. Click on Start and type inetcpl.cpl and press Enter
2. Click on the "Advanced" tab
3. Under "Accelerated Graphics" check the box for Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering
4. Click on OK
5. Now you may need to restart the computer and hopefully you will be able to run Edge or Internet Explorer without the blank screen problem
6. Some users have had to uninstall IBM Trusteer Rapport in order to solve the blank screen problem. Click on Start and type in appwiz.cpl and press Enter. Look for IBM Trusteer Rapport in the list and then click on it and then click on Uninstall and follow the insctructions.
Last updated on March 18, 2020